MARHABA, YA HALA, WELCOME


Do you like Cousa Mihshe as much as you like Fish and Chips? Are you curently residing in two cultral hemisphers, walking a fine line between what is and is not ok with your teta or mama or any other family member, community or country?
Do you belong to your own cultural party, mixing and matching the best bits of life's mojo juice ? Is your Arabic a bit pigeon but full of good intentions?

If you ancwered yes to one or more of these questions chances are, it's safe to keep reading and you fnd its your perfect cup of tea, or Nescafe ma Halib





Tuesday 23 March 2010

How do I love Qatar? Let me count thy ways!

I love Qatar for its amazing citizens for being so plugged in
I love Qatar for its shy, honest hard working ethic that sings to me
I love Qatar for it’s willingness to try, to compete, to grow and be part of a global conversation

Having worked in Bahrain, Beirut, Dubai, and London I have always enjoyed dabbling in the norms of a new country or city yet of all my professional adventures I must confess to having something of a crush on the Doha. The can-do spirit of this city and the fantastic people who inhabit continues to amaze me and remind me of what becomes possible when you have a vision. Qatar Foundation (Arguably one of the biggest instigators of my crush on this city) certainly has a lot to do with it !
An Organization so clear in its mission, which it spreads across surfaces that range from virtual banners to the ceramic tiles that adorn the cities sky scrapers with empowering bold words like “Grow” “Create” “Inspire” that are so large they can be seen from miles that is trying to do what its says on the packet. For some people the idea of ‘unlocking human potential’ may seem abit OTT, but person by person that’s what I see all around… and it inspires me. In fact, it inspires me so much I want to wrap up my small life in England and move hear with the man who makes my heart sing, and play a big juicy part in the ever changing landscape that moves with the skyline. The air of possibility and willingness to grow and punch way above what may be perceived as possible has always seduced me and made me giddy. The last few months have given me pockets of time to reflect on what I would and wouldn’t miss if I left my life in England thought of the following:

Would not miss
The commutes into Central London on over packed commuter trains. The weather. The grumpy people

Would miss
The friends and my family & Mr. C’s Family. The smell of spring
Growing tomatoes in our garden

So assuming my incredible husband came with me, and his incredible mother agreed to come and ride out at least 6 months of the year with us it just might work. Afterall, growing tomatoes seems to pail in significance when you can grow potential… and I am now more sure then ever that what the city lacks in quantity it certainly makes up for in Quality, so how do I love Qatar... let me count thy ways...

No comments:


big up the Banksy

well did you know...

well did you know...
No pressure then!

list of all the things a part time arab my worry about

  • to que or not que ... that is the question
  • how do I say....
  • how manny cousins do I have?
  • should one say Bleease or Please when in the motherland?
  • not being Arabic enough
  • being too Arabic